County Health Rankings & Roadmaps staff, collaborators, and others often feature our work on the County Health Rankings & Roadmaps or the RWJF Culture of Health Prize, or data from the Rankings in peer-reviewed articles.
From Our Researchers:
- Willems van Dijk, J.A., Catlin, B., Cofsky, A., & Carroll, C. Challenges and Lessons Learned from Communities Using Evidence to Adopt Strategies to Improve Healthy Food Environments. Health Aff (Millwood), 2015, 34(11):1979-85. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2015.0643.
- Gennuso, K.P., Jovaag, A., Catlin, B.B., Rodock, M., & Park, H. Assessment of Factors Contributing to Health Outcomes in the Eight States of the Mississippi Delta Region. Prev Chronic Dis, 2016, 13:E33. doi 10.5888/pcd13.150440.
- Park, H., Roubal, A.M., Jovaag, A., Gennuso, K.P., & Catlin, B. (2015). Relative Contributions of a Set of Health Factors to Selected Health Outcomes. Am J Prev Med, 2015, 49(6): 961-9. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2015.07.016.
- Hood, C.M., Gennuso, K.P., Swain, G.R., & Catlin, B.B. County Health Rankings: Relationships between Determinant Factors and Health Outcomes. Am J Prev Med, 2016, 50(2):129-135. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2015.08.024.
- Remington, P.L. (2015). County Health Rankings and the Cult of the Imperfect. Health Serv Res, 50(5): 1407-12. doi: 10.1111/1475-6773.12351.
- Athens, J.K., Remington, P.L., and Gangnon, R.E. (2015). Improving the Rank Precision of Population Health Measures for Small Areas with Longitudinal and Joint Outcome Models. PLoS One, 10(6): e0130027.
- Remington, P. L., Catlin, B. B., & Gennuso K. P. (2015) The County Health Ranking: rationale and methods. Popul Health Metr, 13(11). doi: 10.1186/s12963-015-0044-2.
- Roubal, A. M., Jovaag, A., Park, H., & Gennuso, K. P. (2015). Development of a nationally representative built environment measure of access to exercise opportunities. Prev Chronic Dis, 12, E09. doi: 10.5888/pcd12.140378.
- Athens, J. K., Catlin, B. B., Remington, P. L., & Gangnon, R. E. (2013). Using empirical Bayes methods to rank counties on population health measures. Prev Chronic Dis, 10, E129. doi: 10.5888/PCD10.13.
- Remington PL, Booske BC. Measuring the Health of Communities - How and Why? Journal of Public Health Management and Practice 2011; 17,5: 397–400.
- Rohan AM, Booske BC, Remington, PL (2009). Using Wisconsin County Health Rankings to catalyze community health improvement. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice. 2009 Jan-Feb;15(1):24-32.
- Peppard PE, Kindig DA, Dranger E, Jovaag A, Remington PL. (2008). Ranking community health status to stimulate discussion of local public health issues: the Wisconsin County Health Rankings. American Journal of Public Health. 2008 Feb;98(2):209-212. Epub 2008 Jan 2.
- Lin, Y.H., Eberth, J.M., & Probst, J.C. Ambulatory Care-Sensitive Condition Hospitalizations Among Medicare Beneficiaries. Am J Prev Med, 2016, 51(4): 493-501. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2016.05.005.
- McCullough, J.M., & Leider, J.P. Government Spending in Health and Nonhealth Sectors Associated with Improvement in County Health Rankings. Health Aff (Millwood), 2016, 35(11): 2037-2043.
- Greer, S., Schieb, L.J., Ritchey, M., George, M., & Casper, M. County Health Factors Associated with Avoidable Deaths from Cardiovascular Disease in the United States, 206-2010. Public Health Rep, 2016, 131(3): 438-48.
- Hardin-Fanning, F. & Wiggins, A.T. Food Costs are Higher in Counties with Poor Health Rankings. J Cardiovasc Nurs, 2017, 32(2):93-98. doi: 10.1097/JCN.0000000000000329.
- Peyer, K., Welk, G.J., Bailey-Davis, L., & Chen, S. (2016). Relationships between County Health Rankings and child overweight and obesity prevalence: a serial cross-sectional analysis. BMC Public Health, 16(1):404. doi:10.1186/s12889-016-3091-0.
- Anderson, T.J., Saman, D.M., Lipsky, M.S., & Lutfiyya, M.N. A cross-sectional study on health differences between rural and non-rural U.S. counties using the County Health Rankings. BMC Health Serv Res. 2015 Oct 1;15(1):441. doi: 10.1186/s12913-015-1053-3.
- Fields B.E., Bigbee J.L., Bell JF. Associations of Provider-to-Population Ratios and Population Health by County-Level Rurality. J Rural Health. 2015 Sep 3. doi: 10.1111/jrh.12143.
- Winterbauer, N.L., Rafferty, P.L., Tucker, A., Jones, K., and Tucker-McLaughlin, M. (2015). Use and Percieved Impact of the County Health Rankings Report in Florida and North Carolina. J Public Health Manag Pract, 00(00), 1-7.
- Courtemanche, C., Soneji, S., and Tchernis, R. (2015). Modeling Area-Level Health Rankings. Health Serv Res. doi: 10.1111/1475-6773.12352.
- Hoffman, G. J., & Rodriguez, H. P. (2015). Examining contextual influences on fall-related injuries among older adults for population health management. Popul Health Manag, Epub ahead of print.
- Singh, S. R., Young, G. J., Daniel Lee, S. Y., Song, P. H., & Alexander, J. A. (2015). Analysis of hospital community benefit expenditures' alignment with community health needs: evidence from a national investigation of tax-exempt hospitals. Am J Public Health, 105(5), 914-921. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2014.302436
- Harris, A. L., Scutchfield, F. D., Heise, G., & Ingram, R. C. (2014). The relationship between local public health agency administrative variables and county health status rankings in kentucky. J Public Health Manag Pract, 20(4), 378-383. doi: 10.1097/PHH.0b013e3182a5c2f8
- Holzer, J., Canavan, M., & Bradley, E. (2014). County-level correlation between adult obesity rates and prevalence of dentists. J Am Dent Assoc, 145(9), 932-939. doi: 10.14219/jada.2014.48
- Arndt, S., Acion, L., Caspers, K., & Blood, P. (2013). How reliable are county and regional health rankings? Prev Sci, 14(5), 497-502. doi: 10.1007/s11121-012-0320-3
- Kindig DA, Cheng E. Even As Mortality Fell In Most US Counties, Female Mortality Nonetheless Rose In 42.8 Percent Of Counties From 1992 To 2006. Health Affairs 2013;32(3)
- Cheng E, Kindig DA. Disparities in Premature Mortality Between High- and Low-Income US Counties. Preventing Chronic Disease 2012;9(3)
Mobilizing Action for Community Health (MATCH) Series
- Kindig DA, Booske BC, Remington PL. Mobilizing Action Toward Community Health (MATCH): metrics, incentives, and partnerships for population health. Preventing Chronic Disease 2010;7(4).
- Pestronk RM. Using metrics to improve population health. Preventing Chronic Disease 2010;7(4).
- Bilheimer LT. Evaluating metrics to improve population health. Preventing Chronic Disease 2010;7(4).
- Oliver, T. R. (2010). Population health rankings as policy indicators and performance measures. Prev Chronic Dis, 7(5), A101.
- Parrish RG. Measuring population health outcomes. Preventing Chronic Disease 2010;7(4).
- Asada Y. A summary measure of health inequalities for a pay-for-population health performance system. Preventing Chronic Disease 2010;7(4).
- Kottke TE, Isham GJ. Measuring health care access and quality to improve health in populations. Preventing Chronic Disease 2010;7(4).
- Lantz PM, Pritchard A. Socioeconomic indicators that matter for population health. Preventing Chronic Disease 2010;7(4).
- Mokdad AH, Remington PL. Measuring health behaviors in populations. Preventing Chronic Disease 2010;7(4).
- Jakubowski B, Frumkin H. Environmental metrics for community health improvement. Preventing Chronic Disease 2010;7(4).
- Brownson RC, Seiler R, Eyler AA. Measuring the impact of public health policy. Preventing Chronic Disease 2010;7(4).